Home

About Us

Services

Sunday School Classes

Church Activities

Pastor's Corner

Calendar of Events

Visit Us

Contact Us

History of Bedington United Methodist Church

Methodism in these parts dates back to 1790. The first church erected at Bedington was originally part of a vast circuit including Martinsburg, Gerrardstown, Darksville, Ganotown, and Hedgesville. The first church was built of stone, and was located close to the old Bedington school on the north west side of the Sulpher Spring in the early eighteen hundreds.

The present United Methodist Church, along the Bedington Road, west of the old mill was dedicated September 27, 1908 as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The early church would have meetings every other Sunday with the assigned minister coming there once a month. Christian Crum was assigned to the Virginia area in 1812. He was the first established circuit rider in Virginia at an annual salary of $106.80. Bishop Newcomer spoke of preaching at Lemasters on the Opequon in the winter. This was the John Lemaster farm. This land was across from where his son, Jacob, bought 304 acres from Cornelius Thompson in 1815. It was at the mouth of the Opequon where Bernard Lemaster lived and Richard (now deceased) and Thelma Pill now live. The Lemasters moved to this area in 1812. They, as many other families that settled in this area, were from Pennsylvania and Maryland.

From 1908 to 1942 we were the Hedgesville-Bedington Circuit. In 1939 came the unification of the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South and Methodist Protestant Churches. The next realignment of charges brought about a new one called Harmony-Bedington-Mt. Wesley.

The Educational building ground breaking started in 1952 on the south side of the church where the new addition was to be erected, which is now called our Fellowship Hall. The Parsonage to the west of the church was built in 1960 and paid in full 1963. At that time we also decided to unite as a two point circuit known as the Bedington-Marvin Chapel Charge.

During the 1970’s it was becoming apparent that the Bedington Church was starting to outgrow its present facilities, both in Sunday School and Worship. So after much planning and prayers the building program was officially begun, October 29, 1978 during a ground breaking service at the sight. On Sept. 30, 1979 the first service was held in our new church sanctuary. In 1987 the Church Dedication service was held, having been paid in full for the new sanctuary.

We are now the Bedington United Methodist Church with services at 9:00am and 11:15am every Sunday. Sunday school classes for all ages at 10:15—11:00am every Sunday. Children and youth groups meet on Sunday evenings. Vacation Bible School in July for children.